Monday, July 31, 2006

Rear Deck and Locker

No rocket science in this process. I cut the deck roughly to size and then planed it down to fit. The bottom is made of sign-painter's external grade plywood - I couldn't bear to spend the money on more mahogany that was going to be covered by paint! The fir plywood has a tendency to check if not glassed, so I glassed both sides before instaling. On one corner the bottom was about 3/4" too narrow which left a gap between the bottom and the side - this I filled with a bunch of thickened epoxy when filleting the joint.




For the locker front, I used cardboard to cut out a template first and found that this made cutting the real piece a lot easier. I started out cutting a solid piece, notched for the anchor tube, and then cutting out the hatch opening later. The hatch is going to have a raised lip around the opening and then a wooden hatch cover sized to fit over the lip. The only potential issue I can see is the hatch not staying on. I will probably rig a bungy cord to hold things from the inside.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home